Setting up Spot UV artwork for the first time can be daunting, even for seasoned professionals. And even when you have the process down, you change printer and they require a different set up! That’s why we’re sharing a demonstration to clear up any confusion and show you how easy it is to create stunning Spot UV business cards with Tradeprint.
1. First open a new document and set your page size. For a business card, enter 85mm x 55mm. Add 4 pages ensuring facing pages is not ticked.
2. Add a 3mm bleed and click Create.
3. Now you’ll have four pages. The top two are for your design while the bottom two are for your spot UV layer. Place the front of your design on page 1.
4. Place the back of your design on page 2.
5. Create your Spot UV layer for the front of your business card on Page 3. To do this, copy and paste the part of the design you’d like to show in Spot UV onto the artboard and change the colour to black (100% K). Patterns work very well with Spot UV printing, but thin lines and small text don’t work too well. Also remove any text or shapes reversed out of a block so your design is completely black.
6. Repeat step 3 for the Spot UV layer for the back of your business card on Page 4.
NOTE: If you only require spot UV on one side of your design, still include all four pages but leave the page blank.
7. You now have four complete pages in the correct order for printing:
Page 1: Artwork front
Page 2: Artwork back
Page 3: Spot UV front
Page 4: Spot UV Back
8. Outline the text to stop any font issues during the printing process and save the file.
9. Now we’re ready to transform the artwork into a print-ready PDF file, so click export as PDF.
10. Choose High Quality Print and check the compression is on 300 so images will stay in their high resolution format.
11. Add crop marks, add registration marks, add a 3mm bleed and click Export.
12. You should now have a four-page PDF, in the correct order and ready for printing.